"One of the very best things about life is the way we must regularly stop whatever it is we are doing and devote our attention to eating. " - Luciano Pavarotti
It's January, the month of healthy habits for many, so I'd like to encourage that by offering you one of my favorite winter salads. It's fresh and bright, healthy and delicious and full of powerhouse nutrients. It's also super simple to make. Leftovers keep well for up to 2 days so you can double the recipe to have some for lunch or dinner the next day or two. The main ingredients are shredded Brussels Sprouts and Fresh Kale. I've never been a huge fan of cooked Brussels Sprouts, but a couple of years ago I had my first fresh Brussels sprouts in an amazing salad served at Pizzeria Da Lupo in Boulder, Colorado and I became an instant convert! .To shred the Brussels Sprouts I use my Cuisinart food processor's shredding disc. Before I cut the kale in strips I remove the thick stems and discard them. They are not really all that palatable. THe dressing has a little natural sweetness from the apple juice concentrate which is a great counterpoint to the savory whole grain mustard. It's my favorite salad dressing to use in the colder months as it complements so well any fruits or nuts added to mixed greens. I hope you will love it, too!
This month also brings a change to the blog. I am now including a PDF file link so you can download or print the recipe to make it even easier for you!
Winter Greens Salad- serves 4-6 ...or just me.
3 cups shredded raw Brussels Sprouts
3 cups thinly sliced fresh Lacinto (aka Dinosaur) Kale
3/4 cup thinly sliced fresh celery
1/4 fresh pomegranate seeds plus more for garnish (or substitute Dried cranberries for seeds)
1/4 cup lightly toasted walnuts, coarsely chopped plus more for garnish
Apple Cider Vinaigrette-
2 Tablespoons Thawed Organic Aple Juice concentrate
2 Tablespoons Organic Apple CIder vinegar
Pinch each Kosher salt and Coarsely ground black pepper
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
3 Tablespoons mild oil (Grapeseed, canola, Avocado or Light Olive Oil)
1 Tablespoon Walnut Oil
2 Teaspoons Whole Grain Mustard
1. Make Vinaigrette: In a medium bowl whisk together all the ingredients except whole grain mustard and oils.
2. Whisking continuously, drizzle in both oils. Stir in whole grain mustard. Taste for seasoning and adjust as needed. (Store in lidded jar in fridge until needed. Shake well before using).
3. In a large salad bowl, place the shredded Brussels sprouts, kale, celery, pomegranate seeds and walnuts.
4. Toss to combine. Drizzle with desired amount of dressing (I am firmly in the less is more camp). Toss to combine.
5. Serve immediately, garnishing with additional seeds and nuts, if desired.. Store leftovers, covered, in the fridge for up to 2 days. Here's to your health! ♥
Printable Recipe Here: