"I was supposed to get a nice body for summer, but there's a small problem...I like food." -Unknown
Well, maybe just maybe, we can change that! I am sharing one of my all-time favorite burgers today made from lean ground turkey. They are moist and delicious (really) and full of portobello mushrooms. Don't tell anyone though, they'll be none the wiser (yes, even your biggest meat lovers). I have never had anyone not love them, they are that good.
Before I get to the meat of the matter (pun intended), I must give credit where credit is due. This recipe came to me via Food Network Magazine many years ago now. It quickly became a staple in our house. I make them year round, grilling them in the summer and cooking them in my cast iron skillet in the cooler months. Either way you can't go wrong. I suggest you make extra to have on hand in the freezer. You will be glad you did!
Portobello Turkey Burgers- makes 8 burgers
adapted from Food Network Magazine
2 large Portobello Mushroom caps, stemmed and gills removed, cut into chunks
2 Tablespoon coarsely chopped shallot
6 Tablespoons lightly packed Italian Parsley leaves
2 1/2 lbs. lean (93%) ground turkey
1/4 cup Extra Virgin olive oil, plus more for brushing
2 teaspoons worcestershire sauce
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 1/2 teaspoons coarsely ground pepper
8 slices of cheese (your favorite!)-optional
buns (Iused brioche buns here, griddled, before serving)-optional
Sliced avocado, mayonnaise, thinly sliced red onion and lettuce for serving -optional
1. Place ground turkey in a large bowl; set aside. In the bowl of a food processor, add the chunks of portobello, shallots and parsely and pulse until chopped. Add to the turkey.
2. Add in the worcestershire sauce, 1/4 cup olive oil, salt and pepper and mix well, using your impeccably clean fingertips, in a stirring motion so you don't compact the mix.
3. Gently shape mixture into 8 large patties, about 4" in diameter and approximately 3/4 inches thick . Poke your index finger through the middle to make a hole (helps prevent the burger from puffing up in the middle, promoting more even cooking).
4. Preheat a large cast iron skillet over medium heat or your grill to medium high. Brush the burgers with olive oil and sprinkle with a touch more salt and pepper (just a pinch!). Cook your burgers about 5-7 minutes a side, or until done (165 F internal temperature), topping with cheese during the last minute or so.
5. Toast or grill buns if desired. Build your burger with your favorite toppings.
6. Dig in- so yummy! ♥